More Trading Hours = More Opportunities
The world doesn’t stop when the workday ends. Now, your power to trade doesn't either.
What is Pre-Market and After-Hours Trading?
Pre-market and after-hours trading and quotes enable you to research and make trades online during certain hours before and after the markets close. Available now on the RBC Direct Investing site and the customizable trading dashboard for an even more comprehensive online investing experience – at no additional cost to you.
Feel empowered to manage your investments, even outside of regular market hours
Gain better visibility into the markets.
With pre-market and after-hours quotes, you can stay connected and see how the markets are responding to breaking global, corporate or geopolitical events such as elections, earnings announcements, corporate restructuring or executive changes.
Use these insights to make trades after-hours or inform the price you trade at when the markets open.
View new charts with the latest information.
The most current information is displayed in an easy-to-read chart, so you can stay informed even if you’re short on time or the markets are closed.
Respond to the latest news instantly.
With all this information, you can make strategic moves and fulfil your trading strategy:
- Take charge, save the phone fee and place your order online for just $9.95 commission per trade (or $6.95 for Active Traders)Legal Disclaimer 1.
- Simply follow the same process as trading during regular hours.
- Any of your orders not fulfilled by the end of the pre-market or after-hours session will expire.
- Pre-market and after-hours trading has fewer participants, making it typically more volatile and less liquid than trading during normal hours.
Pre-Market and After-Hours Trading FAQs
Placing a pre-market or after-hours trade online is no different than entering an order during regular hours. While there’s no additional cost to you to trade outside of regular market hours, our standard rate appliesLegal Disclaimer 1. Any orders not fulfilled by the end of the pre-market or after-hours session will expire.
Pre-market quote data is added to the previous day’s close quotes from 4:00 to 9:30 am.
Pre-market trading is only available for U.S. markets. You can make pre-market trades Monday to Friday at the following times:
- NYSE from 8:00 to 9:25 am ET
- NASDAQ from 8:00 to 9:25 am ET
Post-market quotes include intraday closing data, as well as data from 4:01 to 8:00 p.m. Between 8:00 p.m. and 4 a.m. the next trading day, you will see after-hours quotes.
You’ll be able to make after-hours trades from Monday to Friday at the following times:
- Canada (TSX + TSX Venture) from 4:15 to 5:00 pm ET
- U.S. (NASDAQ + NYSE) from 4:01 to 5:00 pm ET