Skip to main content

Please Choose the Statement That Describes You

Select if you have an existing Direct Investing account

Transfer $15,000 or more and we’ll reimburse you up to $200 for fees charged by your other institution when you confirm your transfer within six months.Legal Disclaimer footnote 1 We do not charge a fee to transfer in your account.

Transfer from Another Brokerage FAQs

If you don’t have an account with us yet, the easiest way to transfer an account from another institution is when you open your account online. If you’re an existing client, you can use our secure online transfer form to transfer your account from another institution. You can also download the form and visit an Investor Centre (opens a new window), or call us at 1-800-769-2560.

RBC Direct Investing does not charge a fee to transfer in your account. However, your current brokerage may charge you a fee to transfer your funds out. What’s more, when you transfer $15,000 or more, we’ll reimburse you up to $200 in fees that may be charged by your other brokerage.Legal Disclaimer footnote 1

When transferring assets from one institution to another, you can transfer either “in cash” or “in kind.”

When transferring “in cash,” the assets you hold in your account are sold, redeemed and settled by the delivering institution based on the market value of your assets (and are subject to normal commission charges). Once the transfer instructions are executed, all outstanding client trade orders will be cancelled.

Transferring “in kind” means that the account is transferred as is — all investments are transferred to the receiving institution at market value on the date of transfer. Where possible, and as allowed by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the book value of securities in registered plans will be transferred to the receiving plan.

Assets from non-registered accounts at another institution cannot be contributed directly to a registered account at RBC Direct Investing. However, you can transfer these assets to an existing non-registered account, and when the transfer is complete, contribute the assets “in kind” to your registered accountLegal Disclaimer footnote 2. You can request an in-kind transfer online or by calling an Investment Services Representative at 1-800-769-2560.

To make cash contributions from your non-registered account, select “Transfers” and then “Transfer Funds” from the “Trade & Transfer” menu. Don’t have an existing non-registered account? Open one now.